Friday, October 11, 2013

Celebrate the Small Things

Many thanks to Viklit for hosting this weekly fest!!!!

Today I'm celebrating:

1. The continuance of life while I have a cold. It's tough for me to keep up with everything, but yet, it's wonderful to have such energy in my household. My oldest ran 2 miles at a Twilight x-country race in sixteen minutes and thirty seconds. (She's getting over a cold and didn't push herself, or even sprint at the end, but she had fun running.) My youngest got purple braces on her upper teeth yesterday. (And our new dog had a "special" surgery that made him unhappy, but in the long run will free him up to go to dog parks, and not leave me worried about adding to the humane society population.)
And there's more stuff going on: a wedding for one of our nieces in two weeks, another niece engaged, and one of my sister-in-laws is returning from a six month working vacation at Yellowstone National Park. Life is good, even while I'm sneezing.

2. I had some good revision writing days this week. I'll probably limit my blog days to 1-2 days a week from now until I get Champion in Flight totally finished.

3. Awesome blogger buddies.

4. M Pax's newest book, Backworlds IV, is out!!! Here's an excerpt:


“I know.” Dactyl spoke so softly, Rainly had to amp up her cybernetic hearing. “I grew up on Howper Tertiary. My father, a veteran of the Fo’wo war, wasted away from a plague. Everyday we did this dance: he begging me to kill him, me trying but failing. Then I had to deal with his agony, the crying and moaning from enduring an excruciatingly slow death. It tore me to pieces. Everyday. I loved him, so couldn’t kill him. I loved him, so wanted to end his misery. On this weakness, Quasser preyed. He recruited me, promising an end to the cycle of my despair-filled life, ‘n I served him willingly, with glee.”

Glee? Of all the things she had suspected, she hadn’t imagined that. How had she end up with someone so like the man who had owned her and beat her? She couldn’t trust her judgment any longer, and Rainly swallowed past the threatening tears. “They kill people. Did you? Did you kill people?”

“Yes.”

His answer landed like a punch. Yes. In one syllable he became a stranger. “’N you liked it?”

“I’ve spent all my hours atoning for it since.”

That part she knew. She gazed at her friends, noting their shock matched hers. She found some comfort in not being the only one deceived.

Deceived. Betrayed. None of those things should happen. Not with Dactyl. Not with anyone she called friend. Who else kept such awful secrets? She squinted at her guests one by one.

 

M. Pax-- Inspiring the words she writes, she spends her summers as a star guide at Pine Mountain Observatory in stunning Central Oregon where she lives with the Husband Unit and two demanding cats. She writes science fiction and fantasy mostly. You can find out more by visiting her at:

 


 

 

Some truths are better left unfound.


For two years Craze’s dear friend, Lepsi, has been missing. The murmurings of a haunted spaceship might be a message and may mean his old pal isn’t dead. The possibility spurs Craze and Captain Talos to travel to uncharted worlds, searching. Out there, in an unfamiliar region of the galaxy beyond the Backworlds, they stumble upon a terrible truth.


Meanwhile, Rainly remains on Pardeep Station as acting planetlord, dealing with the discovery of her lover’s dark and brutal past. Alone and questioning her judgment, her introspection unlocks more than heartache. Latent protocols in her cybernetics activate, forcing her to face a sinister secret of her own.


In the far future, humanity settles the stars, bioengineering its descendents to survive in a harsh universe. This is the fourth book in the science fiction series, The Backworlds. A space opera adventure.



 

 


 

21 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Congratulations to Mary!
Your daughter is a fast runner.
Hope you get the sequel done soon.

M Pax said...

Thank you so much, Tyrean! Have a beautiful weekend. Glad you're working on the sequel of your book.

Deanie Humphrys-Dunne said...

Very nice things to celebrate, Tyrean and congratulations to Mary! Have a great weekend.

Laura Clipson said...

Glad you're enjoying life and not letting your cold get to you. They can be so horrible!

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Good for you for being so positive even when you're not feeling well. :)

Joss said...

WOW! what a lot of great things to celebrate. Colds can totally suck, so well done you for not letting it bog you down :)

Luanne G. Smith said...

Congrats to Mary on yet another release!

And I've cut back to blogging just once a week until I finish my WIP too. I missed an entire month of writing while dealing with the flooding in CO. Just got back into the daily habit again this week, and am getting much done. Hope your writing goes well too!!

Maurice Mitchell said...

Congrats again to MPax! It's an awesome excerpt. The "special" surgery is a good thing. Like Bob Barker said, "Spay and neuter your pets." I heard he got fired for stopping them from giving away fur coats.

Rachel Schieffelbein said...

Lots going on! I hope you're feeling better. Take care!

Christine Rains said...

Fantastic excerpt from Mary! I hope you're feeling better but it's great things are still going on even while you're sneezing. :)

Heather R. Holden said...

Wow, things have been busy on your side of the 'net! Glad to see you're not letting your cold keep you down!

Michelle Wallace said...

Mary is such an inspiration! Love that cover!
Well done on forging ahead in spite of your cold!
Great attitude!
Good luck with your sequel Tyrean.

Claudia H. Blanton said...

those are indeed cool things to celebrate, blessings!

cleemckenzie said...

Congrats on the great revision days. Those are always so rewarding.

Here's my kudos to Mary again.

VikLit said...

Sounds like your cold isn't getting to you - I hope it goes soon!

Chancelet said...

So glad you were able to witness all those awesome happenings from the sidelines, wrapped in warmness, sipping lemon-honey tea. :) May you feel better soon.

Congrats to M. Pax! Writer’s Mark

Julie Flanders said...

I hope your cold is better by now, Tyrean. And congrats on the productive revising and writing days.

Love the excerpt from Mary, her books are awesome.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Alex - Thanks! I think that she's pretty fast, but she's on C team . . . the varsity girls for x-country run 2 miles in a little over 11 minutes - it's kind of amazing.

M Pax - Thanks! Hope you had a great weekend too!

Deanie - Thanks! You too!

Laura - Colds can be horrible and mine was for about four days, and then I managed to ignore it.

Madeline - Thanks!

Joss - Thanks!

L.G. - Thanks! I'm getting more done each day these days, and it's nice to be back in the writing groove.

Maurice - LOL - I agree that it's definitely a good thing.

Rachel - Thank you!

Christine - yes, life is full and it's a good thing.

Heather - Thanks!

Claudia - Thank you! Blessings to you too!

Michelle - Thank you! The attitude comes and goes, but life is easier when it's good.

Viklit - me too. It's almost gone, but not quite.

Nancy - Thanks! Yes, it's fun to be on the cheering side of the race!

Julie - Thanks! and I agree - Mary's books are awesome!

Karen Lange said...

It is a good day to celebrate! Thanks for this wonderful reminder. :) Have a good week!

H. R. Sinclair said...

Tyrean, colds stink! Hope you feel better soon.

Good luck finishing up your MS!

And congrats to Mary.

LD Masterson said...

Yup, good things to celebrate.