Wednesday, February 8, 2012

I'm Hearing Voices Blogfest Entry #2

Rules for the Day: Dialogue Introduction: Have two characters introduce each other using only dialogue—no backstory, no internalization, just dialogue between the two. Max 250 words.




“Hoy there, lassie, I never caught your name, back there when we picked up you and your friends. I’m Gurnsey, you may have heard, ship’s crew and fellow refugee.”

“I’m Clara, thanks for waiting for us. I didn’t even know there were ships waiting to pick us up when we came out of the caves under Skycliff. I was just focused on getting out of the city, and staying alive, and then . . .”

“Then you nearly single-handedly defeated those Red Drinaii scum. You didn’t seem to need a rescue as much as a ship. You know you’re younger than I thought the Champion would be.”

“Champion? You mean, like in the prophecy? That doesn’t make any sense. I’m a sword apprentice. In the caves, in one of the Maker’s testing chambers, I was given this amazing crystal sword, but that doesn’t make me the Champion from the tales and prophecy.”

“Well, now I’m just a sailor, and refugee from the Far Islands, actually called Chain of Hope by my people, but I don’t think you’re going to stay just a sword apprentice for long. That sword isn’t just any crystal sword, not that I have one, mind you, but I’ve seen them.”

“I just want to help free my people from Sihrqayya. That doesn’t make me Champion.”

5 comments:

Tara Tyler said...

i love humble, unsuspecting heroes! and pirates!
great slice!

Emily R. King said...

Ah, a hero with an accent. *sighs dreamily*
Great job getting a lot of info crammed into so little words!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Tara - Thanks!!!

Emily - Thanks! Although I realized I may have "up"-played Gurnsey's importance here . . .he's actually a side character, friend, husband to a helpful mermaid, and not the romantic interest . . .more of a "uncle-ish" friend.

Jeremy Bates said...

I like this web blog very much, Its a really nice position to read.

Joanne said...

I love a humble hero. Makes you want to root for them even more!
Blessings, Joanne