Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Poetry Schmoetry Blogfest: Wild Rumpus at the Library


Poetry Schmoetry Blogfest is Here!
Check out Writing With Shelly for more details.

Let the Wild Rumpus Begin At the Library

Once upon a time in a basement library nook
I stumbled upon my first favorite book
Pulled into adventure as the pages unfurled
I found treasures greater than gold or pearls

In a book that took me sailing through night and day
I joined in the wild rumpus just long enough to say
a home with love and a supper waiting, nice and hot
was more important than being Queen or King on the spot.

My imagination took my swinging through trees,
and I could return home when I pleased.
I met wild characters and creatures from many lands
and had adventures in mountains, seas and sands.

Once upon a time in a basement library nook,
I fell in love with the soft pages of a book.
The pages turned, the adventures unfurled,
and I held a treasure greater than gold or pearls.



If you know what "first favorite" book I'm referring to, please comment!







Scripture Blessings:
"Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation, the old has gone, the new has come!" 2 Corinthians 5:17

14 comments:

Pam Williams said...

What a fun poem, Tyrean! I think I know which book. By M. S., right? I don't want to give it away for anyone else who wants to guess.
Thanks for the riddle! Blessings on your day!
Pam at www.2encourage.blogspot.com

Angela Cothran said...

What a great poem. It makes me want to go to the library :) I don't know your favorite book--maybe you could post it tomorrow :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Nice! Where the Wild Things Are?

Dawn M. Hamsher said...

Oh yeah, Where The Wild Things Are!!! Great book, but it's nice to come home too. :0)

Nice poem.

The Write Soil

Angie said...

Where the Wild Things Are, right? Love it! That's a terrific poem. It really takes you back to the magic of discovering great books for the first time.

Karen Lange said...

Great poem! I'm guessing the same as the other commentors. :)

Brianna said...

Wonderful poem! Brings back memories of going to the library as a child.
I absolutely adore this stanza-
Once upon a time in a basement library nook,
I fell in love with the soft pages of a book.
The pages turned, the adventures unfurled,
and I held a treasure greater than gold or pearls

Summer Ross said...

I don't know which book it is, but I connected readily with this poem remember spending hours in a library and reading. Well done.

Tara Tyler said...

awesome expression and worthy theme!
great work!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Pam - You are right! And thank you! Plus, I'm glad you included your web address - couldn't find it any other way the other day. Thank you.

Angie Cothran - Thanks!!!

Alex - Thanks! and Yes, Where the Wild Things Are

Dawn - Thank you! and yes, where the Wild Things Are - where adventures and coming home afterward work like sweet bookends.

Angie - Thank you! I loved having my mom read to me as a kid, but Where the Wild Things Are was one of my first books that I discovered on my own.

Karen - Thank you! And you're right.

Brianna - Thank you, and thanks for noticing details!

Summer - Thank you, and I'm glad you could connect even without knowing the name of the poem. The library is one of my favorite public places, and favorite public services.

Tara - Thank you!!!

Randy said...

I really love this poem. And of course it referrences a book that is one of my childhood favorites. Good job.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Randy - Thank you!

Small Town Shelly Brown said...

Where the Wild Things Are is the only wild rumpus that I know of in print though I am sure that you can find many of them around my house any given day.
Cute poem. It made me think of the little reading nook in the children's section of our library here with the words Reading Nook written above it. It's just precious.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Shelly Brown - Thank you! And I know what you mean about wild rumpus type events around the house.