Monday, December 27, 2010

365 Days of Blessings, Day 212, 4th Day of Christmas

4th Day of Christmas:
"On the fourth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, four calling/collie birds, three french hens, two turtle doves, and a partridge in a pear tree."

Whether you sing this song because it is silly nonsense celebrating the 12 feast days of Christmas enjoying the imagery of a pie made with blackbirds (collie birds) and dancing milkmaids, or if you like to read religious meaning into it with the four collie birds representing the four gospel writers, I think this song is just something that fits with the 12 days of Christmas in the Western World. Can you think of 12 Days of Christmas, without thinking of this song?

There are so many versions, both serious and humorous, some tasteful, and some not. I invite you to sing it, laugh at it, ponder over it, enjoy it, let it be a reminder to fill up all 12 Days of Christmas with joy and celebration.

Blessings on the 4th Day of Christmas:

1. Reading a new book called poemcrazy by Susan Goldsmith Woolridge.
"For me, poetry is related to walking. Words and images fill me when I wander alone."

2. Reading my Christmas present, Ranger's Apprentice: Halt's Peril
all in one day, and thoroughly enjoying all of it. I might re-read the series again soon.

3. Having so much to read, from the library, from our recent book browse with gift cards at Borders . . . aah, books.

4. The first half of The Silver Sword by Angela Elwell Hunt.

5. Teaser Tuesday Quote from The Silver Sword by Angela Elwell Hunt: "They had not eaten since leaving Chlum, and she was as hungry as a nun on the last day of Lent. With the others, she spurred her horse into an easy canter, and watched the castle rise up before her."

6. I read C.S. Lewis' book, The Great Divorce. Although there are parts I like, I am impressed more by his essay writing and his Narnia series. I am thankful that I have had some time to do this reading now, and make decisions regarding the book-reading of my class on C.S. Lewis life, writing and faith that I plan to teach next year.

7. Finally putting the finishing touches on essay question options for my Shakespeare Class. Sometimes I think writing and researching those questions is the equivalent of writing all those essays. I'm just glad that it is done, and my 11 year old thought they sounded tough, but not too tough . . . so 13 and up teens should be able to tackle them.

8. Having days of rest, after the amazing fun-filled days of Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and the Day after Christmas. I loved every one of those days, but somehow I just didn't get enough sleep, and yesterday I spent the day somewhere between a book, a doze, and a daydream. I am thankful that I can have that kind of rest now and then.

9. Reading the Gospel of Luke in three different translations. I feel so blessed when I get to read the nuances of the wording.

10. God is in charge!!!

Scripture Blessings:
"At once the man stood up in front of everyone. He picked up his mat and went home, giving thanks to God. Everyone was amazed and praised God. What they saw surprised them, and they said, 'We have seen a great miracle today!'" Luke 5:25-26 CEV

"Immediately he stood up in front of them, took what he had been lying on and went home praising God. Everyone was amazed and gave praise to God. They were filled with awe and said, 'We have seen remarkable things today.'” Luke 5:25-26 NIV

"Without a moment's hesitation, he did it—got up, took his blanket, and left for home, giving glory to God all the way. The people rubbed their eyes, incredulous—and then also gave glory to God. Awestruck, they said, 'We've never seen anything like that!'" Luke 5:25-26 Message

"And immediately, as everyone watched, the man jumped up, picked up his mat, and went home praising God. Everyone was gripped with great wonder and awe, and they praised God, exclaiming, 'We have seen amazing things today!'” Luke 5:25-26 New Living Translation

"And immediately he rose up before them, and took up that whereon he lay, and departed to his own house, glorifying God.
And they were all amazed, and they glorified God, and were filled with fear, saying, We have seen strange things to day." Luke 5:25-26 King James Version

1 comment:

Golden Eagle said...

I've never read any books in The Ranger's Apprentice series, although I see them all over the place--are they good?