Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Readers' Challenge: Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day



Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Vorst is a must read for anyone having a bad day because it will make you laugh, realize that really things aren't that bad, everyone has bad days, and makes mistakes, "even in Australia."

If you haven't read this one yet, go to your nearest library and check it out. Alexander's bad day can put anyone's bad day into perspective.

One of my favorite parts of this books is:

"At school Mrs. Dickens liked Paul's picture of the sailboat better than my picture of the invisible castle. At singing time she said I sang too loud. At counting time she said I left out sixteen. Who needs sixteen? I could tell it was going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day."

Poor Alexander starts out the day with gum in his hair, loses his first best friend, doesn't get dessert at lunch when everyone else does, has to get shoes he doesn't like when they go shoe shopping, finds out he has a cavity, stubs his toe, eats something at dinner he doesn't like and gets in fights with his siblings. He wants to move to Australia, until his mother convinces him that "some days are just like that, even in Australia."

I am just so thankful that I'm not the only one that has days like that, and when I read about Alexander, it makes me feel a bit better, and sometimes even makes me chuckle.

Today is going to be a much better day. I can tell. Even if I don't move to Australia.

And tomorrow, I will reviewing a book that I haven't read in a single day . . . because I just want to write about one of the awesome ongoing reads I have going, and not focus on the fact that I don't have time this week to sit down and just fall into a book.

No comments: